Your buttocks are the largest muscles in your body but, if not given the proper attention, they could be the laziest as well.

The buttocks’ true purpose is maintaining our balance as we go. Balance-challenging movements like climbing the stairs would throw you off balance if not for your glutes keeping you upright. The ability to walk and even hike on two feet is what differentiates us from other primates, and it’s our buttocks that make it possible.

Know your buttocks

Buttocks exercises

So many of us take to fashion magazines and drool over models wanting to have a butt like theirs, but chances are, if we got their butt, we wouldn’t like it.

If the measurement of an average butt size is considered and applied to everyone, then a tall person with an average butt would have their buttocks out of proportion, and so will a short person.

So, as with clothes, if a certain butt size and shape looks good on someone, it doesn’t necessarily mean it will look good on you.

Buttocks muscles

Butt exercises

Your buttocks comprise of three primary muscles. These are the gluteus minimus, the gluteus medius, and the gluteus maximus. The gluteus maximus, as the name indicates, in your body’s biggest muscle. The medius, shaped like a pork-shop, is located on the exterior of the pelvis, and the minimus is the smallest of the three, hence the name; it’s located directly underneath the medius.

The layer of fat that surrounds our glute muscles is what gives the buttocks their individual shape. If that fat was to be stripped off, regardless of the shape and the size of your buttocks, the muscles inside are similar in everyone.

Before you go on blaming yourself about the shape of your butt, you should know that a maximum of 70% of our bone and body structure is hereditary and therefore determined by our genetic makeup. This includes the buttocks too. The remaining 30% is determined by your eating and sleeping habits, nutrition, and the way you carry yourself among other things.

Shaping your buttocks

Glutes exercises

If you dedicate time and effort to it, there is healthy possibility that you can non-surgically change the shape and size of your buttocks.

If you’re a woman, chances are that the shape of your butt is defined by the layer of padding around it. If the fat here is excessive, strengthening your muscles may not be your immediate focus, and you may be looking to get that extra fat off your glutes first.

The best way to do this is one you may have heard a thousand times already: healthy diet and cardio. If you really want that fat off, dedicate yourself to a daily diet of about 1500 calories, and make cardio exercises, like walking and jogging. It should be an important part of your daily routine in order to burn through the fat as you consume it.

Glutes workout

In the end, it doesn’t matter how big your butt is and how much padding you’ve got around it, as long as you direct your attention where it should be directed: to ensuring you keep your gluteal muscles toned and firm, providing you with all the support you need for the next hiking trip.

We hope that this post has helped you understand how important your glutes are, and you are already adjusting your workout plans. For more information on how to exercise right, look at articles about jump rope workouts and diets perfect for fat loss.