Beginner HIIT Workouts
Known in advanced fitness as HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), these consist of very fast-paced workouts that burn off calories fast. Alternate them with other workouts or do them in between sessions for maximum results. All you need are the right moves, done at your own pace. HIIT workouts are very intense, but remember that working out too fast can lead to injuries and setbacks.
Things you will need are: water, a chair, and a mat. Remember to keep counting.
- March or jog in place: 30 seconds
- Stand moving your arms in circular motion and backwards simultaneously: 30 seconds
- Front and side lunge on left leg, switch to the right leg. Repeat: 1minute
Ten-Minute HIIT Workout
3 rounds: 20 seconds. Rest: 10 seconds.
Jab, cross, front: right side
- Stand with your right foot in front, hips facing your left side, arms in boxing position
- Jab using your right arm, then throw a “cross” punch with the left
- Weight should be on your right side, back heels slightly off the floor
- Bring your arms backwards, shifting weight to the starting position and facing front
Jab, cross, front: left side
Repeat as above, switching sides.
Jump up, spreading feet apart while raising arms. Repeat. If too difficult, replace it by stepping back and forth and side to side, raising arms over the head.
- Feet past hip-width apart, toes at a 45-degree angle
- Weight is on your heels, back straight, chest upright
- Lower the body towards the floor
- Push yourself back up
Overhead stretch, forward fold.
20-Minute HIIT MetCon Workout
This workout is going to feel challenging as it has been designed in order to maximize the calories you can burn. We call it the Metabolic conditioning. Five exercises focusing on multi-full-body movements. Each consists of 45 second sessions with a 15-second rest.
3-Rounds: 1-Minute Recovery.
If traditional push-ups are too difficult, place your hands on something higher than the floor level, or place your knees on the floor.
Use a chair if you need additional support. Keep your weight on your heels and feet under the hips.
Walk/jog in place raising your right leg to touch your bottom.
Repeat with the left leg
- Use a table or a chair to brace your back
- Balance on your palms, legs out straight, elbows bent
- Now lower your body downward as far as you can
- Press the body upwards to the starting position
- Weight of the body should be on your heels
- Step to your left in a deep lunge
- Keep your knees above the toes at all times
- Repeat with the opposite leg
- Cool down with an overhead stretch, quad stretch, and a forward fold
HIIT 30-Minute MetCon workout
This will be an approx. 30-minute session. It is a longer workout for those who are up for a challenge. It works the upper and lower parts and the core of your body (this is going to use up more calories than if you were to walk on a treadmill).
3-minute warm-up (see above).
3 rounds: 45-second recovery
- Butt kicks
- Triceps dips
- Side lunges
- Jumping jacks
Overhead stretch, reverse lunge, quad stretch, forward fold. Hold each for 30 seconds.