When you think about weight loss, you probably imagine cardboard-tasting foods and lots of exercise, but did you know it’s possible to lose weight eating tasty foods like bagels and waffles too? Below are six low-calorie breakfast recipes to get your day started, all the while being healthy.
1. Blueberry maple syrup waffles
- 2 whole grain waffles
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tbsp. pecans
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
Put the maple syrup and blueberries in the microwave for 2-3 minutes to thaw. Toast the waffles, use the syrup, and toss pecans on top.
2. Bacon and spinach omelet
- 1 whole egg, with two extra egg whites
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 slices cooked turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 slice whole grain toast
- 1 tsp. butter
- cooking spray
Mix your eggs, spinach and bacon together in a bowl. Then coat the pan with cooking spray, pour the mixture in and cook. Serve with buttered toast.
3. Granola and pumpkin parfait
- 6 oz plain low-fat yogurt
- ¼ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp. honey
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 whole grain granola bar, crunchy and crumbled up
Mix the yogurt, pumpkin pie spice, and honey together. Then layer the mixture in a bowl, topping with pumpkin and granola crumbs.
4. Cream cheese and tomato bagel
- 1 whole grain bagel
- 2 large tomato slices
- 2 tbsp. low-fat cream cheese
- salt and pepper
Start by toasting the bagel and spreading cream cheese, then top each bagel half with a tomato slice and sprinkle with salt and/or pepper as preferred.
5. Banana and peanut butter pancakes
- 2 tsp. peanut butter
- 1/2 small banana, chopped
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/3 cup whole grain pancake batter, prepared
Start with prepared batter and mix in peanut butter and banana pieces, then cook. Serve with honey on top.
There you have it, five quick and simple recipes that will create low-calorie and healthy breakfasts. Keeping your meals well-balanced and filling doesn’t have to mean you need to eat foods you hate.